Nutrition Administrative Procedure:
EICS recognizes nutrition as an essential element of student and staff wellness, and acknowledges its role in optimal growth and development. As a division, we are committed to creating nutrition environments in schools that promote and provide access to healthy food choices for all. Our Administrative Procedure reinforces the principles of healthy eating outlined in Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide and the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth. Our education for students, staff, and parents works with the Comprehensive School Health approach.
In accordance with our EICS Nutrition AP, our school will:
- Ensure strategies are in place to foster the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that promote healthy eating.
- Using the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines, distribution of food in our elementary school will align with the Choose Most Often and Choose Sometimes categories.
- Special events will incorporate the principles outlines in the Alberta Nutrition Guideline for Children and Youth.
- Hot Lunch Programs will provide healthy choices from the Choose Most Often and Choose Sometimes categories, and will phase out foods from the Choose Least Often categories.
- Schools will use non-food rewards to provide incentives.
So what, now what? What does this mean for students, staff, and families of Saint John XXIII?
- We recognize that nutrition is fundamentally a parental decision and we acknowledge parents as the first teacher of their child.
- Staff will continue to share information and ideas about the categories with students and families.
- We will not be able to distribute any birthday "treats" or food that is brought in. If your child would really like to share on their birthday, there are many non-food options available such as: a book donation or pencils.
- Administration will continue to work jointly with our Hot Lunch Coordinators to ensure nutritious choices are made available.
Inclement Weather Policy
EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS
In the case of extreme weather conditions (ie. cold weather or freezing rain), Board Policy determines whether or not the buses will operate that day. If bus service is cancelled for the day, a message using School Messenger will be sent to all affected families and school administrators by 6:30a.m. Parents may also obtain this information from our website at www.eics.ab.ca or by calling the Transportation Office.
NOTE - If bus service is cancelled in the morning, the buses will not operate in the afternoon even if weather conditions improve.